Friday, December 28, 2018

DMV License Extension Experience in NJ

I am from New Jersey. I recently had a scenario wherein my H1B visa was expiring say on Dec 31st and so was my Driver’s license.

I had to visit couple of DMV centres with the hope that I would get the DL extended.

But what I got to know is that DMV has a strict policy for visa holders for DL extension.

By law, we are eligible to get extra 240 days for DL based on the H1B/L1 receipt i.e. I797C.

Below are the steps where in we can get the DL extended for 240 days.
1) First, you must have all the valid documentation (in case of NJ, it must satisfy the 6 points https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/license/docselector/index.htm)
2) Some of the documents are your Indian passport, SSN, Visa, latest i94 copy, original I797C receipt, current DL.
3) You must have the original I797C. If not, please request your attorney or employer to provide you the same, else DMV might not agree to help you out.
4) You must also ask your employer to provide you an Employment letter on the Company’s letterhead with proper seal and signature in the format shown here https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/license/H1B_status_employer_letter.pdf
5) Go to the DMV with all these documents.
6) The first thing they will do is to validate your immigration status with USCIS. If that goes through then you will get your DL extended. However usually with visa extension in progress, that would fail.
7) Then they will open a SAVE (Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlement) case for you. More details here: https://www.uscis.gov/save/about-save
8) SAVE is part of USCIS which will validate your immigration status.
9) DMV personal will typically give you the SAVE case number. The status can be check on the SAVE website. https://www.uscis.gov/save/casecheck
10) Once the SAVE validation is complete and the case is returned to the Agency, you can go to DMV and ask for the update. In most cases, if all your documentation is fine, you will be given an extension of 240 days for your DL.

Hope this info helps.
Let me know.
Good luck with your DL extension!!!!!

No comments: